PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Look at what BA are up to....
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 05:29
Final 3 Greens

To finish off, myself and F3G will never agree on BA or T5.
That is not true, for example

T5 is much better than T3.
I agree with. Then again, it should be, as one is a brand new design and the other is nearly 50 years old, landed with an old fashioned design and added to in an ad hoc manner over the intervening period.

I would also choose BA over the US carriers on the BOS-LHR routing, in fact I would choose BA over VS.

I repeat, as I have said on other threads, I have never had a bad experience with BA aloft. The service is acceptable or better.

On the other hand the ground service is often diabolical; e.g. I had to spend 20 minutes speaking to my credit card company yesterday (international call), because BA did not know whether they had charged me for some flights I booked for later in the year and called me to ask whether I knew.

Their system had confirmed payment had been taken, but they could not find the payment.

When I called back to tell them the money had not been debited, their finance section decided to wait for two days before re-debiting, 'just in case we have a hold over the funds.'

That is just crass.

With the very greatest of respect, I travel frequently in business class and have very high expectations of the product/service - I would admit to being very critical.

I make no apologies for this and apply the same standard to my own performance (I run a micro service business, where our clients are also hyper critical - quite rightly for the fees they pay.)

If I was travelling economy (and I do sometimes, on leisure) I would be much less critical as my perception of value for money changes considerably.

Finally, I don't know if you are American or an expat Brit, but I want British Airways to be a strong player. It's good for me as a traveller and as a British citizen I want to take pride in our largest national carrier.

Those who have been on PPrune for a long time will know that I was a very strong supporter of BA until about 2005, when a combination of threatened strikes and the GG fiasco made me step back and question my loyalty.

Sadly, the past 5 years have seen a further decline, IMHO.

Over my 32 years of business travel, BA started off as 'Best Avoided', then improved dramatically to be my airline of choice from the mid 90's to 2005 and now, sadly, are returning to their former status.

The sad aspect is that BA does have some very good individuals working for it (I think of some cabin crew and also the operational research people I knew), but has suffered from poor leadership and management for a long time. In particular, the company has seriously lost its way in managing its relationship with independent premium passengers, who are not hampered by corporate travel policies and will switch carrier if mishandled.

Paxboy has opined several times about the decline of BA and saldy I tend to agree with his call.

If you take a look at this webpage Understanding the Corporate Lifecycle | Adizes it may be interesting to take a view where BA is on it's corporate lifecycle.