PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A plea for sensible taxiing speed at Essendon
Old 5th Mar 2010, 23:23
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A plea for sensible taxiing speed at Essendon

OK, this is trivial - but not when it costs money from other people's pocket.
Thus:
Memo to Head Honcho, instructors and students of Oxford Air Training at Moorabbin. Cc Essendon ATC.

Scene: Wed 3 March, a Warrior of above flying training organisation lands Essendon 26 and is cleared to taxi via parallel taxiway all the way to holding bay for departure Runway 17. No doubt humming a little tune like Winnie The Pooh, the pilot(s) dawdle all the way at barely walking speed quite oblivious to others forced to crawl him behind at four bucks a miniute not including GST. ATC would have been blind to not have seen this and I would have thought could have asked the Oxford Air Training pilot to move it along a bit. But ATC said nothing probably thinking it wasn't their problem. If it was a Global Express up the chuff of the Warrior, I am sure ATC would have told the Warrior to move aside or go faster.

Essendon is a favourite visiting place for Moorabbin based flying schools and it behoves the management and pilots of that august establishment to ensure their instructors and solo students taxi sensibly at Essendon, not crawl along like a one wing fly with half it's legs missing. No wonder these aircraft are banned from Tullamarine.

By the time the students of that flying school have reached the stage of navigation training, they should know the etiquette of taxiing at a sensible speed. Too fast is potentially dangerous, and taxiing too slow is just plain bad manners and expensive to those forced to be behind them on a taxiway. In other words by the time these chappies get to do navs into Essendon they should know how to taxi a Warrior I hope.

Your future cooperation in this regard at Essendon would be greatly appreciated.