PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 5th Mar 2010, 20:15
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
K3nnyboy, It's possible you may have missed the boat. When REX started the Cadet program more than 2 years ago, the Chief Pilot proudly stated that they had more than 700 applications. My sources tell me that these applicants now number in excess of a thousand!

Do you remember the scene from "An Officer and a Gentleman" where Lou Gosset asks Richard Gere, "Why are you here Mayo'?" To which Mayo' replied "I wanna' fly jets". The tough Gunny then spat at him, "MY GRANDMOTHER WANT'S TO FLY JETS!!!"

The program is oversubscribed to buggery. As a result, REX are now oversupplied with F/O's, most of whom are unable to hold a command, and will not be able, if ever, to sit in the LHS for years! Whether you consider REX's lack of response unprofessional or not, the fact is I can't see too many more Cadets coming through, hense the reason for their apparent silence. The real game for the AAPA now, is the training of overseas students. REX haven't spent 12 million dollars on the new facilities in Wagga so that it can supply F/O's to REX, where there is no longer a demand.

The moral to the story. Move on! If you've decided to get back into the game and have found yourself at the bottom of the expansion/recruitment cycle, and you have to spend the next decade (as many of us did) slogging it out in GA, then so be it. If you decide it's not the right time, and wait for the "golden" opportunities, you'll probably never make it.

Best of luck,

Krusty.