PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for joining Qatar Airways
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 12:03
mounster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
copy of your marriage certificate in your car

not sure that if you have to keep one, but a lot of my colleagues here have been driving with girls without trouble, without being asked by anyone. here not like saudi which is very strict . . but just don't drive after you drink alcohol, not worth-ed : they can jail you

banking : that day we were opened account by IBQ (International Bank of Qatar). Not sure about the interest, as I never intend to save my money in here. To be compared with others, IBQ is not bad, customer service is ok, you can have internet banking that allows you transfer money worldwide, 12 times a year without any charges, but of course the exchange rate is not as best as if you go exchange in money changer. But the good thing is, you don't have to go to bank to do wire transfer world wide free of charge.

a friend of mine told me never choose QNB, customer service is no good, although the bank is quite big. not sure how accurate that info . . never had QNB before

whatever ATM you use to withdraw money, if they have GCCNET logo, you won't be charged for service charge.

they main thing is, as you have a bank account, sometimes you have to phone them, remind them to activate your account. my colleague waited 1 month + and his account was never activated, so he had to collect cheque from company to cash his salaries.

your very first pay could be with cheque as well, or if you apply for salary advance, QR will give you cheque. To cash it, go to Commercial Bank before 1pm, if you don't have your Residence Permit yet (as most cases, usually), make sure you bring your Passport Copy stamped and signed by HR from QR, and show them your QR staff ID. Some branches they play hard not to pay you the money, because they say you don't have your Qatari ID and original passport -> as you are still applying Residence permit and your passport is being held.

school : sorry guys, my kid is 2 months old, never had an experience for looking for school, but company reimburse for the school fee up to max QR50.000 p/a for maximum 3 kids. If your kids go to school in home town, company still reimburse you, provided original receipt is shown.

alcohol : Qatar ain't dry, you can drink, at the club / restaurant, but everything will be inside hotel and it's hotel price which is expensive. You can apply for liquor license, HR will give you letter and bring it to QDC (the only one company that imports and sells alcohol ). deposit of QR1.000 required, but returnable.

an advice from my friend, but never been through : if you stop by QDC to buy and you have alcohol inside your car and (hope never happen) you happen to have accident on the road, dispose them if you can before the police come. insurance company won't cover your damages if you have alcohol onboard the car.

most important thing : be patient, take it easy !!
non type rated lads, you could experience a long wait during the training. when I did mine, there were multiple long wait during the sim sessions.
ground school : 2-3 class per week, the rest nothin', relax
fix based : 5 sessions, finished in 3 weeks, there was a gap in between
full flight : 3 sessions - wait 3 weeks, 3 sessions again - wait another 2 weeks, then 2 sessions every week until finish.

line training was quite ok, a lot of boeing instructor came and taught us line ops. should be done in 4-6 weeks including 2 line checks. they say requirement is 24 sectors including 4 sectors line checks, but I assume you all experienced lads, should be finished by 12th or 14th sector.

some of the info might not be 100% accurate anymore or maybe some of things have been changed, but I just share you what I know and been through.

all the best !!