PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Domestic - Wannabes & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 09:33
flitegirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi CCC

I'm glad you find my posts helpful.

The reason for the projected shortage of crew in the coming months is basically because Qantas has survived the recent economic problems relatively well and is now in a position to increase services or upgrade aircraft (ie size) on a number of domestic routes. Airlines have analysts who project markets and then schedules are produced in accordance with these projected passenger numbers, demand etc. I think they usually produce schedules for about 6 months in advance. Qantas schedulers would have made the decision recently that there will not be enough crew in the coming months to cope with these new schedules. Hence a recruitment campaign is triggered.

This recruitment does seem a bit "rushed" compared to other times where applicants are left "on hold" for months at a time. I guess the company has been focused on other demands with the economic problems etc, rather than looking at recruiting for a "hold pool". That's just my thoughts.

As for applying for multiple bases, I don't really know what advice to give you there. On the three occasions I applied for Qantas they asked me to rank my preferences for a base. At that time it was just Sydney and Melbourne. I'm not sure how it works now, if you go to a Perth RD does that mean you are only considered for Perth? Do they give you the option of ranking your preferences in your application? Sorry I can't be more helpful.