PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC in the news...
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 09:18
Global Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The media aren't to blame for this incident but they are to blame for the publicity surrounding it.

IMHO He did nothing wrong, bit of fun, let it be. Its definitely not worth him losing his job over. What actually started out as a bit of fun for one family, has probably now, because of the media storm, ruined that family. The attention this has now drawn will probably require that someone has to get fired and the media, to give them a follow up story, will be hoping that does happen and then somehow will champion themselves as purveyors of increased aviation safety.

Some posters have criticised the pilots for accepting the clearance........... but then, to be critical, you have to make the assumption that the pilots didn't know that it was the ATCO's kid talking and so far the evidence suggests that the pilots knew exactly what was going on.

I would suggest that FOX news go to some of the places on the planet where safety is compromised daily by inept controllers that are actually licenced by their countries regulating authority, so in essence, have permission to be inept. Thats far more dangerous than a controllers kid, saying exactly what he is being told to say by Dad, a qualified ATCO at JFK.

I have heard on a daily basis at LHR controllers instructing one aircraft to follow the minibus ahead!!! Would that be the small people carrying automobile that has the cleaning crew on board? Of course it bloody isnt but it doesnt detract from the professionalism of the controller one iota.

What about the guy that does the ATIS? If the information happens to be information Echo, he says "Echo, Echo Echo Echo Echo" I think its amusing and again, i wouldnt begin to questions his/her professionalism just because they were not sticking directly to the letter of the law and just saying information Echo.

Ive heard stories about a controller passing a can of beans to his colleague rather than the ATC Strip, because it added some light relief. Its fun. Just like taking your kids to work because they probably have a real interest in the cool job that Dad has.

Its the publicity surrounding this that is out of proportion. Not the event itself, but sadly, the punishment will probably be totally out of proportion because if he has his ticket pulled, he will have to find a new career, not just a new job.

Fly Safe

GW