PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aptitude & Interview coaching
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 08:58
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outbound and ROO,

These are my tips.

1. Try and speak to people that have been thru the process recently (mates pprune ect). Take notes. Find out as much as you can about the questions and process. Try and simplify all the info have it all in one format/font keep it simple and don't over do it. Try and get the specific questions.

2. Learn about the company - Read the latest press releases how many aircraft ect. (Confidence building)

3. Know Terminal. (Confidence building)

4. Know some very basic high speed aerodynamics (1 or 2 pages dot points).(Confidence building)

5. Buy yourself the best possible suit tie shoes belt and cv/portfolio holder. You will use it again its worth the effort. Give each person on the interview panel a copy of your cv. (Nuts and Bolts this is what its all about)

6. Try and get your hands on the Microsoft flight sim equivalent type they will be testing on. Practice, practice until you vomit. A few days before the interview you want to be doing a practice run in the real thing. Full motion the whole show. Yes this is expensive but missing out is even more expensive I promise. (Nuts and Bolts this is what its all about)

7. Get down/up there a few days before just to settle in. Don't try the night before effort. Make sure you get sleep/food/water. Do what it takes don't skimp.

8. THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE. Get to know yourself go thru your logbook and make some notes about some of the things that have happened to you during your career. Make some dot points on each story and make sure you answer it in the format they want it in (generally STAR). This is the important bit. Go for a walk with your girl/guy/mum/friend whoever after dinner every night and get them to ask you the questions that you obtained back in point 1. You will be surprised how badly you answer this basic stuff about yourself initially. Don't lose heart just keep practicing being concise cutting out the extra stuff. Do it over and over.(Nuts and Bolts this is what its all about)

Getting the job you want is Preparation Presentation and Gift of the Gab. If you can get two of those three you will get past the interview. The sim will be learning the numbers, the calls and the pattern. You should be able to do it in your sleep.

As others say be positive back yourself and say to yourself "this is going to work I'm going to bloody make it work".

The people on these panels/sims are 99% really friendly and nice people they want to see you get thru it makes thier job easy when Outbound/ROO rocks up polished, sharp and confident. Firm handshake and look all of them in the eye. People sometimes think they can just "rock up" or its a whatever. No no - make it happen.

Good luck.

As for courses - personally I don't think you need them. But I might have a bit more experience on my side which makes them less relevant for me than for others.