PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter Broker fees
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 08:53
SussexBroker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go again

A simple question from someone about brokers and all the operators get on their high horses - love it. If you are an operator, you are doing nothing except biting the hand that feeds “some” of your business. There are few brokers that are working with stupid low percentages and this is indeed harming the market for the brokers, however, with it being a more competitive market, it stands to reason that brokers will have to work on a lower percentage in order to continue winning business for the operators.

If we are broker bashing, we can also make the same note for operators, it is noticeable the in the past 12-18 months it is operators that have been reducing their prices without the intervention of a broker ! If airlines are stupid enough to operate flights for a loss, then that is also harming the industry not to mention their wallets. Let’s face it, at the end of the day it is operators who decide the market rate because they have the product and Cap Loko is exactly right, brokers cannot work on a 0% for the same reasons !!!

Regarding MarcoT’s post, it is not a case that big brokers work for less and smaller brokers rip people off or even vice-versa… a fair percentage is indeed between 5-10% and if a broker can make more by procuring a price that is below “market rate” then they will – this is NOT ripping off the client… I mean I would ask any operator if you have a flight from A-B sold at full rate and a “direct customer” called and booked the empty sector do you give it to him for next to nothing ? I doubt that very much, so are you “ripping off the client” ??? I also doubt you’d agree with that either !!!

A good broker’s job is to spot an opportunity to make a higher percentage whilst maintaining their duty of care for their supply and client; for if the supply runs out, we’re all going hungry and if the clients gets ripped off the same thing happens !

I find it amusing that operators bash brokers and yet it is rare to see a broker bashing an operator, I think operators need to be slightly more respectful of brokers and work with us rather than a “them and us” attitude which frankly is detrimental to industry - I think it is fair to say that the markets are coming back and this will be good for broker and operators alike and we should all work together, there is room here in this industry for brokers and operators to live and work in harmony !