PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash'landings'
Thread: Crash'landings'
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2002, 06:49
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm not as experienced at crashing as Sldr Handlebar but I have done it a few times

1/. Engine failure on initial and landed back on field (downwind) with no damage.

Notes:

I know that the '180 turn' is the great aviation 'no no' but under the right conditions using the right technique it can be done. My other option was suburbia and as one of my first instructors said, "You have no right to take your airplane into someone's living room...even if you die trying don't do it.

I have also landed a C185 on a road. Down hill, down wind, around a corner, hitting power lines (that I couldn't see) and walked away without a scatch and with only superficial damage to the aircraft...because I accepted that this was my best option, maintained correct speeds and fought the aircraft to a standstill. No matter how bleak the view out the window may be if you don't give up hope you will maximise your chances. Give up and you are dead! The above road 'arrival' happened off an extended down wind, due traffic, where I turned 180 degrees, realise I wasn't going to make the field...turned 100 degrees more and set up on the road at about 200'...hit the power lines at about 40' and landed amidst light traffic. It was the option with maximum plusses...terrain in the area was not the best with lots of little hills and gullies full of scrub. It was a very busy 90 seconds or so

Of course if I had checked that my (very experienced) student had done what I directed and changed tanks (hidden from view beneath/between the seats) it would not have happened at all..so mea culpa

I once had a prop blade depart the aircraft (really old C206) at 1000' on initial, the engine spewed oil on the windscreen in it's death throws and I couldn't see $hit. I trimmed for minimum speed flight and aimed approximately where a huge field was, more or less straight ahead...and just arrived...but walked away and got drunk later on with the parachutists that I had been carrying...but who jumped out at the first hint of trouble. I had a chute as well but the drop zone owner who owned the aircraft had threatened me with painfull death if I ever jumped for anything less than losing a wing Just after touchdown the engine fell off the front of the aircraft due to damage sustained to the mounts from the few seconds of very unbalanced spinning prop...it wedged under the left wheel strut and brought me to a sudden stop.

General Rules:

1/. NEVER STRETCH THE GLIDE.
2/. BETTER TO HIT SOMETHING NEAR THE END OF THE GROUND ROLL SLOWLY THAN FAST BEFORE YOU TOUCH DOWN.
3/. UNDERSTAND HOW THE AIRCRAFT YOU ARE FLYING WILL REACT TO WHATEVER YOU MAY NEED TO DO.
4/. PRACTICE GLIDING FULL FLAP SIDE SLIPS SO YOU CAN GET INTO TIGHT OPTIONS.
5/. IN A SE AIRCRAFT ALWAYS KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR PLACES TO PUT DOWN.
6/. PRACTICE GLIDE APPROACHES TO TOUCH DOWN AT SUITABLE AIRFIELDS.
7/. GOING INTO TREES MAKE A FULL FLAP STALL INTO THE TOPS AT THE SLOWEST POSSIBLE SPEED AND AS CLOSE TO THE TOPS AS POSSIBLE.
8/. IF A DITCHING IS INEVITABLE DO IT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE POWER. ACCEPT THE SITUATION AND PLAN BEFORE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.
9/. HAVE A PLAN OF ACTION YOU ARE HAPPY WITH BEFORE YOU ROLL ON TAKEOFF. IN SE AIRCRAFT WHAT WILL YOU DO BEFORE 100'/300'/1000' WHAT AFTER?

Remember that an amatuer is surprised when an engine fails on take off...a professional is surprised when one doesn't.

When I was learning to fly at night I asked my father (20000hrs) about engine failures at night.

"Put the aircraft in the landing configuration/speed...when you think you are close to the ground turn on the landing lights...if you like what you see leave them on!!!"

Studying the countryside around where you usually fly and thinking about what you would do in various scenarios is some of the best preperation...practicing manouvreing the aircraft in gliding flight, under supervision and at a safe altitude could save your life and the lives of those with you...hey might be you children

Chuck.

Edited to remove the description of a manouvre that is beyond the skill levels of average PPLs

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 10th Jul 2002 at 11:02.