PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 03:44
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD-EE;

Photo of AA587, "top of the hoop" if I have that right, with the ears and the place for the pins. The BEA Report also has a good cross-section showing the hoop, again, if I have that right.

bearfoil;
The crew rest capsule the same. This is difficult, for we assume it was holding the Captain, and perhaps one or two rest FA's. How did it come to be found?
Very difficult.

The structure found is the Cabin Crew Rest Module. It is in the belly of the a/c, mid-section and sleeps about six if I recall depending upon the installation. Some F/A's would have been on break as 3+hrs in, the first service would be finished.

(added comments re breaks)
The calculation of break time and who goes when is left up to the individual crew. Break time begins at top-of-climb and ends about an hour before landing, (about half hour before top of descent). This permits the last crew member on break to shake off the sleep and be alert for descent preparation, briefings and the landing. On an 11hr ramp-to-ramp flight, each break would be just over 3hrs apiece, (11 - 1.5hrs / 3 = 3:20 each).

Because the accident occurred at just about the time for crew change, it is a guess as to whether the captain had just left the cockpit for his break or whether he was just returning from the first break, (I'm assuming a total flight time of 11hrs).

Long breaks are discouraged to avoid falling into deep REM sleep which is more difficult to wake up from. Everything equal, my experience is, usually the PF gets first choice, the RP last choice.

The cockpit crew rest module, depending again upon installation, (how the airline ordered it), is either behind the cockpit on the starboard side just in front of the Business Class Galley, with two bunks laterally mounted and about 18" width between the bunks and the cockpit wall to stand and change in, or the crew member takes a business-class seat reserved for the purpose, usually a single window seat, puts up a velcroe-mounted tent which fastens around the seat and from the overhead bin structure, (and tries to sleep through the flourescent overhead lights which aren't blocked, and/or the cabin service. Best break time is the middle one when no service is being done).

Sorry for the pithy remarks but crew "rest" is an oxymoron in such an arrangement. A dropped wine-bottle next to the cockpit crew rest facility is like a rifle-shot. The B777 cockpit crew rest upstairs behind the cockpit is a palace by comparison. The A340-500 and 600 F/A crew rest area is underneath the rear galley and is also a superb installation. it was also an option for cockpit crew but being the entire length of the aircraft away from the cockpit and having to get by trolleys and passengers was viewed as unacceptable, at least by our committee.

Last edited by PJ2; 5th Mar 2010 at 04:15.