PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 01:35
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil, "At 36 g's the crew rest capsule, the galley, and the lav door would be accordioned to the size of a briefcase, imo. These structures are simply not built to withstand crushing, twisting, or frankly, to support their own (unattached) weight."

Would it? Or would it merely fracture in every weak place in the structures? That largely depends on how much energy was dissipated in the structures, that would be conditional on both the acceleration and the duration of the acceleration.

I've been envisioning a short sharp (36g +/-?) slap and it's over. I get the impression you see a sustained 36g. If it was sustained the plane would have reached the Moon on the rebound. (exaggerating for effect, of course.) That is a good argument for a low speed along its velocity vector when it hit. Even at 120 MPH we're talking a fraction of a second to bring the portions of the plane that took the most acceleration to a halt. So the trash compactor effect doesn't have time to kick in.

As I muse on it this may be another argument for the tail slapping in first. The belly may have come down with less acceleration. The report, here, of bodies sliced in two by seat belts belies this idea, though.