PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat Of Strikes At Air New Zealand.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2002, 05:11
NoseGear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaptain M, I could not agree more. It is high time they are called to account for their decisions, just as pilots are when it goes pear shaped.

Longjohn, again your facts are wrong, I am not employed by Air NZ, nor would I want to be. I think we may be arguing out of different corners, and I see your point regarding Freedom, but see Sharfteds post above as to why it was probably allowed to happen "by ALPA", ie jobs for pilots. I think you may be slightly overestimating the power ALPA has over Air NZ. There are currently 24 Aussie pilots flying for Air Nelson, and of course QF domestic in NZ is crewed by Aussies, and there is nothing ALPA can do about it. As for the "Federation of Air NZ Pilots", aka scabs, they drove the thin end of the wedge into the rest of their pilot collegues by undermining previous working conditions. And I note they are "available for work" during next weeks strike action. My anger is saved for the beancounters who try to chop our (and by this I mean all pilot groups) hard won conditions. But more so at the pilots who scab, no matter what "nome de plure" they decide to act under,who directly enable the beancounters to do so by undermining efforts to at least maintain current conditions. If this continues, the job won't be worth it, as the pay and conditions certainly wont' be what we DESERVE. We are not bus drivers, as much as management would like to try and label and pay us as such. I for one am proud to be a pilot, and feel that the pay and conditions should reflect the responsiblity we have as professionals.

As for the AN collapse, that of course will invoke understandably emotive responses from those affected. But I do not agree with those who would wish the same on another group of fellow pilots. As stated, the NZ pilots had nothing to do with the AN collapse.