PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC in the news...
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2010, 21:30
Stop Stop Stop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a shame it has come to this- the nanny state wins again.

Just a few years ago, we would all have smiled at this. Then the internet came along and internet forums spoiled any fun anyone in this industry ever had. Everyone's sense of humour removed forever. Now, the smallest mistake is aired for all- there is nowhere to hide!

I have had ATCO's on my flight deck- I let one call his unit with our initial call inbound- dangerous, no- did it break the rules, of course, but we all smiled when the ATCO answering guessed it was his colleague making the call.

Along with constant QAR monitoring, sterile cockpits, locked doors this industry is going the wrong way. Does it make for a safer sky? I'm not so sure.

OK, so the controller was clearly given permission to bring his kid to the tower for the day- he wouldn't be there alone- most towers at large international airports have minimum 5 or 6 people in the tower so all there would be guilty by association. It probably made everyone's day! He has been caught out this time- guilty by internet- and he just deserves a slap on the wrist and don't do it again!

Hands up who would recommend that their kids come into this business now!