PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC in the news...
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2010, 18:06
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How in God's name do we get youngsters interested in aviation nowadays?

When I was a kid, my local airport had a public enclosure and we could get within 100 feet of airliners. Tell me where, at airfields such as Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted that youngsters can get near aircraft nowadays?

When I was a kid, my father took me round the hangars and taught me to respect aeroplanes. From as long as I can remember, I was allowed to sit in flight decks and kind people took me around showing me how things worked and why they were there. Tell me where you can do that nowadays?

When I was a kid, I was taken flying in aeroplanes from gliders to airliners by kind people whenever I was in the right place at the right time. Tell me where you can do that nowadays?

When I was a kid, I was allowed to get really dirty washing cowlings, changing tyres, exhaust gaskets and God knows what else. Tell me where you can do that nowadays?

When I was a kid, I invariably was allowed to visit the flight deck when we went on holiday and I already knew how to behave whilst there. Tell me where you can do that nowadays?

When I was a kid, we visited control towers, ATC centres, airfield fire stations etc etc. Tell me where you can do that nowadays?

The po-faced, never-done-anything, elfin safety, so-called security experts, politically correct and generally cowardly pratts have completely ruined aviation for the younger generation (and for those of us who are still in it). They have taken their young adventurous ambitions away from them and they should rot in hell for that.

God how I pray for a serious outbreak of common sense, for you humourless pillocks out there depress the hell out of me.

Rant over.