PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Ban
Thread: Approach Ban
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2010, 11:16
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Checkboard, I appreciate your inputs and believe we are reading from the same page. http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/3...ml#post5418160

You missed my bolding that there was an "aerodrome" AB. On the other hand, now I see that my reservation towards the "approach ban" term being used for EASA principles had been misinformed, because the UK procedure is in fact named "Absolute Minima" in Manual of Air Traffic Services. PPRUNE here: http://www.pprune.org/questions/1114...procedure.html Just for intrest, here's some of the wording:
the controller must inform the pilot immediately with the following phraseology:
“(Callsign) you are advised that the current RVR/visibility is (number) metres which is below the absolute minimum for a (name) approach to runway (number). What are your intentions?”
If the pilot states that he still intends to continue the approach below 1000 ft above aerodrome level the controller shall inform the pilot:
“(Callsign) if you continue the approach and descend below 1000 ft above aerodrome level, it is believed that you will be contravening UK legislation and I shall be required to report the facts, acknowledge.”
This shall be followed, at the appropriate moment, by:
”(Callsign) there is no known traffic to affect you making a (name) approach torunway (number).”
Now I am in humble agreement that "approach ban" indeed can be used to describe the Operator's procedure, such as mandated in EU-OPS or found in legislation elsewhere. The CAR wording "on reasonable grounds" you provided reads rather clear to me.

This brings us back to Five Liver's Q.
a) either you mean UK absolute minima procedure in which case I doubt it, because the MATS cites 1000 ft for all and only UK airports.
b) or you mean the operator's procedure in which case I doubt it, because whichever text your OM-A provides, it is applicable to YOU as a pilot on any aerodrome worldwide.

Note, that if B) is correct and you were an EASA operator, the correct limit is OM or equivalent position, 1000 ft applies only if neither of those two can be established.

Sincerely,
FD (the un-real)

PS: Checkerboard, please accept my apology for making you re-post facts that you provided already so many times around here.