PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain after net takeoff path
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2010, 11:06
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
herefore in following the procedure, we are relying on our performance people to have number crunched it on our behalf.
Careful about relying 100 percent on anyone including your performance engineers. I flew for one airline who had an engine failure procedure published for a Greek island. The procedure published was simple enough in that it said turn left and fly heading 020 - flap retract height 800 feet. On departure from that runway on a sunny day I noticed another small island with a 1500 ft spot height feet dead ahead on track 020 and 10 miles away from the departure airport. There was little doubt in my mind that the level acceleration with one engine inoperative would have put us smack into terrain below the spot height.

When asked how far ahead on 020 was the flight path surveyed for obstacles, the company performance section replied 50,000 feet and that after that distance, it was pilot responsibility to calculate own terrain clearance. Furthermore, the performance section had obtained this information from Greek authorities who had provided the obstacle clearance charts from which our runway analysis had been calculated.

It is wise to check with your own performance engineers responsible for individual runway analysis charts, to exactly what distance are the charts valid. Depending on aircraft weight, met conditions, density altitude etc a loaded 737 could be as far as 14 miles after lift off on one engine and still be at 800 feet before flaps are up and MCT selected.

Ideally, the published engine failure terrain clearance flight path procedure, should provide the pilot with safe terrain clearance and associated data, to a height where an instrument approach may be commenced.