PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Eyre filling quickly!
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2010, 10:34
Paul Alfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey DF...OK, I'll lay some points to rest....there will be limited fuel available at Birdsville...it will take at least 4 weeks as stated to get road access...no way in or out at the moment...NO, the fuel is not contaminated....amazing scenes, more water around there from the local 9 inches than ever seen before.

Bedourie also had 8 inches and with another flood push 10kms north, plenty for the Georgina System and Eyre Creek will once again look spectacular flowing eventually down to Goyders and into the Warburton.

The Cooper is winding its way and currently at the back of Mungerannie Station...Innaminka is definately worth a visit at the moment, the Cooper water was 8.5 metres over the causeway last week....not sure how long to get to the lake because this system hasn't run like this since 91....when it crosses the Track, it could be closed in sections from 12-24 months according to previous floods....Apparently The Hwys Dept have an old barge/ferry they use to get ppl across...I was told the cattle dont enjoy it that much

Mungerannie Airstrip is still only available to the RFDS and Mail Plane and will continue this way. Cowrie maybe an option as it was last year.

A plane from Wilpena flew out to the lake last week and said it was about 5% from the recent local rains.

Apologies if I have some facts wrong but thats about all I know at the moment. The lake needs the Cooper to get to 100%, and if the Finke comes down then its a shoe in.

I'll keep the thred posted with the water progress as best I can even though my route dosent go that far west to even see the lake Oh well, at least I get to hear all the radio calls again this year

Cheers guys, safe flying.

PA