PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2002, 23:14
short&shapeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been ‘dipping in/out’ of PPRuNe for a couple of months now but when I came across this topic, I knew I had to join, even if it was just to register for the petition.

First an apology, I have read ALL the posts but I have not been able to access all the links posted, so if I am about to go over old ground that has been well covered – sorry! I appreciate that this is nothing other than speculation, conjecture and assumption but it is no more than that applied by 'Wratten and Day' when they chose to overrule the BoI findings.

I have to agree with a statement made by Canberra a while back now, that ‘one of the most important factors’ was the fact that the first 2 digits on the Transponder were 77. However, there does not seem to be an explanation posted as to why that should be the case and I wonder if it has been mentioned anywhere. If not, here is my take on this.

As an ex-Mil ATC, I would have expected 7000 (conspicuity code) to be set unless they changed for a specific reason. There are not many options as to why they would change the setting but here are my thoughts. Fast Jet jocks use 7001 when climbing out from low level but I would not think that a rotary would use this option. Alternatively, the change could have been in response to an ATC instruction to set a specific SSR Code – I believe this could not have been the case as they were not in contact with ATC. So what does that leave us with?

Bearing in mind the state of the Mk2s at that time, and the warning to expect an engine failure at any moment, it is not stretching the imagination to think that some form of mechanical failure was encountered. If this was the case, then CRM and Emergency Training would ‘kick-in’ and whilst trying to fight the problem, one of the 2 pilots would attempt to call ATC and apply the emergency SSR code of 7700. Tragically, events overtook them and either the task was not completed or the aircraft position was such that it was outside the Triangulation System Net coverage and not picked up. IMHO this would seem to be the most likely reason for the Transponder setting of 77**.

So, to quote their airships, ‘on balance’ it must be considered that mechanical failure COULD have been a causal part of the accident. Consequently, there IS doubt as to what might have happened SO they cannot stick blindly to their decision to tarnish the reputation of the crew. So the sooner, that either ‘Blur’ or ‘Who’, get up on their hind-legs in Westminster and say so the better.

Sorry for the long post but I felt it needed saying – if I have just taken up your time 'stating the bl**ding obvious' on something I missed in some other forum, then my apologies!!

Right, I will use the stepladders to get down off my soapbox, and I will shoot off to add my name to the petition and check that my MP (Chidgey of Eastleigh) has signed the EDM.