PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pegasus Flying Club & Aberdeen Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 21:32
startall4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nipper twas I !!

Reading every post has brought many memories flooding back. I worked for Peter from May 77 till the end of 79 after doing my PPL there in '76 with Dave Buchan .
I started as a general dogsbody cleaning the a/c etc.and thanks to PF ended up as a QFI and taught at Aberdeen and Tingwall. I was tasked with redoing those boards as the originals were a bit tatty. Painting the blue Pegasus' on the tails of the newer a/c, GBDOD GBEWP GBFJM. GBDCK (Grumman AA5) was also something Peter got me to do.
A couple of names that of that era that haven't been mentioned are instructors Nigel Tilsley and Sheena Reid ( Aberdeen Aero Club) David James Dave Robinson and Gerry Howie and one of the nicest people and finest pilots I have ever met, Peters local instructor examiner Dan Air 748 skipper Ray Elliot.

Back to the Nipper GAZBA. I was, according to the Aberdeen Evening paper, the "Boy Pilot Escapes As Plane Hits Wall". The engine lost all power just after t/o. It was all looking good but the wall jumped up and caught the u/c!
The a/c was badly damaged and sold on. I got out ok with not a scratch although I got a bit of a fright! The AAIB came to the conclusion that it was probably carb icing as they couldn't find anything else wrong.

A couple of a/c that Peter was involved with that have slipped "under the radar" were a Lake Buccaneer amphibian and an Aero Commander 500B.
Both were owned by others but Peter managed to get his hands on them for limited club use.
I must know many of you posters as I was there constantly as I don't remember Peter giving me any days off!
Happy days.
Graham Kidd
p.s. pm me for a blether but I am relying on email notification of a message.