PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resettlement:
Thread: Resettlement:
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 20:44
explorer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resettlement is, like most major changes in life, quite daunting when you first approach it. If you want to get th emost out of it then there are quite a lot of hoops that you will have to jump through - the paperwork, for example, seems designed to discourage you from getting everything to which you are entitled - but your station's Resettlement Advisor will be a great help to you. Get to know him/her and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Resettlement is a great opportunity to get some 'free' training courtesy of the ELC/SLC & Resettlement Grant combination as previous posters have described. Yes, you will have to do some research, but the effort will be worth it. For example, I undertook a £2000 week-long residential course and didn't have to pay a penny of my own; the ELC paid for 80%, the Resettlement Grant paid for the remaining 20%. Resettlement being a duty, I reclaimed the mileage and decent accommodation which was booked via DHRS.

As your formal resettlement period is time 'on duty', you can't legitimately carry out another paid job during that period. The leave regs (top tip: read them!) do, however, state that you can undertake another paid job when on leave with the permission of your Commanding Officer. I followed the advice given to me by PSF: apply using a Gen App and paraphrase the relevant regulation. Once countersigned by my boss this went to OC PSF (junior to me, never mind my CO!) who approved it. Winner.

Plan your leave carefully. I calculated in detail and saved up all my carried-forward and annual leave, which I added to resettlement and terminal leave.

I was lucky enough to start my new job immediately upon leaving the Service and the result of all the hoop-jumping was quite profitable: 7 weeks of Resettlement on full Service pay during which I completed a useful £2000 course 'for free', a month of annual leave during which I received full Service pay plus full pay in my new job, followed by a month of Terminal Leave ditto.

Don't be cynical about resettlement, you don't get anything like it in civvy street!

E99

PS: Plenty of people told me that you could ignore the 'no pay during resettlement' rule, but as I now work for the police I made sure everything was completely legit!