PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 18:56
bearfoil

mm43

Permit me a question. I am quite late to this thread it seems. I have missed how it is that some would require the VS separation to have been reported by ACARS, I suppose because it is thought that a/c disintegration must have happened before final ACARS transmission? That is counterintuitive. I realize comm from the flight is considered out of the ordinary for dropped, lost or untransmitted mxs. Bear with me. If the beginning of trouble was ADIRU and unreliable a/s, wouldn't the aircrew have almost instantly turned for land? Though airborne for 3:20, Brazil was not far, and ahead was bunk Wx and alot of Ocean. Why is it not possible for the a/c and crew to be flying during ACARS, but in consonance with a reasonable turn to land? The problem of duff a/s was well known, and I believe first thought would be to land asap. Why is it thought that the last transmission from ACARS was at impact? Is it? Why is it thought that the a/c instantly started descending at first ACARS and took those 4 minutes to crash? Last ACARS was disturbing, is it not thought that this could have signalled the beginning of uncontrolled descent? PRIM/SEC FAIL seems about as bad as it can get and still have some influence on controls. I still believe the VS separated quickly, as it is missing skin fracture, dimpling, folding, and penetration by other debris. Virtually all of the debris was diminutive, save galley and V/S Rudder. Most all of it also displays abrasion, ripping, penetration, and twisting.

Can you be of some help in a clear chronology? I am confused by the "4 minutes to impact". Aside. If I'm to turn, and I'm flying, I like the turn with the best view, so if the relief Pilot was flying LHS, I'd assume left turn. If the F/O is RHS, and he's flying, right turn. Left also seems away from Wx, I'm assuming a left turn.

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 3rd Mar 2010 at 19:27.