PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA in G-Reg abroad. Worrying development.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 13:40
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by englishal
This is making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill. I also don't see how the CAA can answer for foreign aviation authorities.
There are a couple of key principles
  1. Does a NAA have the authority to validate licences for world wide use in aircraft on their register - generally people assume this is true, however, the argument being made is that the CAA validation is only good in the UK (or where specifically accepted).
  2. Is the UK CAA's process of validation ineffective globally because it is automatic and does not produce a validation document. As a follow on, does this ineffective process comply with their ICAO obligation to facilitate validation of other countries licences ( recall this obligation but don't have a reference to hand).
  3. More generally, does the ANO apply to G-reg aircraft extraterritorially or not. The ANO says yes, the argument implies no. (Clearly, there are lots of regulations which I will call 'Airspace Regulation' which apply to all aircraft operating in a country). However, for example, would one expect US law or UK law to apply to the maintenance of a G-reg aircraft in the US? - and generally (and famously with a 3 engine BA 747 out of SFO) the general consensus seems to be it is the law of the country of register that applies in these airframe/licencing issues).

For me it is an interesting mole hill with regard to what does an NAA control in practice.