PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA in G-Reg abroad. Worrying development.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 08:44
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Foreign' Haters and dealing with the Civil Service

Hi ILOC,

I suspect there is something at work here that I think you may be unaware of.

There is, among those involved in British flight training, a certain hatred of people who go abroad to get their PPLs, as they see it, 'on the cheap'.

They consider that flight training exists for the sole purpose of providing them with an opportunity to earn money.

They believe we should all be prepared, to tollerate the endless weather delays and to pay the exorbitant operating costs of flight training in the UK. Given the chance, I am sure they would have all training abroad banned.

So when they encounter someone who has got their PPL by that means, they look for ways of making life difficult for them.

I once mentioned to a UK instructor that I wanted to get an FAA CPL and he more or less went for me, giving me a lecture effectively about my duty to provide him with a (post retirement) living.

On another occasion, I happened to mention to another UK instructor my wish to obtain a share in an 'N' reg aeroplane. She tried to tell me that if I owned an 'N' reg aeroplane in the UK, I would only be allowed to fly it for six months of any year; not true.

Now let's talk about dealing with civil servants, (i.e. those who work for any branch of central government, including the CAA). These days, there is no point in speaking to people in departments of central government over the telephone on any contentious matter. (Believe me, I speak from much BITTER experience with three different departments, including the CAA).

Telephone conversations are deniable. They will tell you whatever it takes to make you go away and then, if questioned afterwards will deny, either what they said, or even ever having spoken to you at all.

The ONLY way to deal with them on any contentious matter is to WRITE to them, SENDING YOUR LETTER EITHER BY REGISTERED MAIL OR BY RECORDED DELIVERY (so they cannot deny that it arrived) and insist on a written reply, citing any regulation or article of the ANO upon which their reply will be based. Then you should count the working days that elapse afterwards and send a follow up letter if you do not receive a reply within the 15 working days.

If they fail to provide a satisfactory response to your enquiry, don't hesitate to threaten them with involving your MP, or the Ombudsman, or both, if they fail to deal with your question in writing and within a reasonable time, and don't hesitate to carry out your threat if they do fail to deal with it.

You don't need to contact ICAO, and indeed they will not become involved in what they will regard as a local matter.

Broomstick.