PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Oil .......
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 00:37
Laundryboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could I point anyone who is genuinely interested in what is going on in the Falkland Islands towards Falklands History, as an awful lot of guff is being posted here.

The multi coloured swedish baron, who I think started this thread, would certainly be well advised to read it before posting further. Argentina, who constantly try to undermine all commercial activities in the Falklands, were recently involved in talks with the British Government, with a view to including them in the potential logistical bonanza - but they withdrew from the talks, because they couldn't drop their sovereignty claim. Nothing to do with forthcoming elections in Argentina of course.

A lot of British lives were lost in 1982 to maintain the sovereignty of these islands, which is why some posts are bound to be strongly worded. It is, and always has been, the will of the Falkland Islanders to remain British, but to be independent - if that makes sense. The Falkland Islands Government (which has never been recognised by Argentina) is structured in rather the same way as the Hong Kong Government used to be - with a British Governor, and locally elected Executive and Legislative Councils. The Islands are therefore totally self governing, albeit under the watchful eye of the FCO, and British Government. The right of self determination is well enshrined in UN speak, and sovereignty is not for negotiation - the fact that your neighbour has just won the lottery doesn't give you the right to claim half, or indeed all of their winnings. Argentina has never owned this place, and never will.

All the Argentines I have ever met have been very pleasant people - indeed, I bumped into about twenty of them a couple of weeks ago in Goose Green, who were lost, looking for San Carlos (I am writing this from the Falklands). It turned out they were all veterans of the 1982 war, who had come back for a look about. No animosity, all friendly and waving - its their warped and corrupt government who cause the problems here. Please, swedish baron and others, don't get sucked into the hype - its all Latino speak, they don't mean it really!