PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 21:26
Flightrider

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
So let me get this straight. There once was an airline called British Midland which was well regarded by its customers, provided a decent standard of service and didn't do too badly financially.

It then decided to start flying to the USA and because Midland, Texas sounds about as far away from civilisation as you can get, the name "British Midland" was deemed unsuitable.

The name was changed to bmi British Midland and then bmi. Great idea - far more acceptable in America. Name your airline after the acronym for body mass index. I suppose it's an acronym which at least is instantly memorable for part of the American population.

bmi then starts losing pots of cash. They then start reintroducing the "British Midland" bit because no-one really knows what bmi is or what it stands for, despite the efforts to establish the brand having continued for what - about eight years?

How's about another re-brand. Just call it British Midland. I think the powers-that-be could be amazed at the effect which this would have.