PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA in G-Reg abroad. Worrying development.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 16:19
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two members of the syndicate, a CFI and a CAA examiner, were absolutely adamant that this wasn't the case.
Ask them for a reference. Aviation is full of bullsh*t.

Myself and the syndicate secretary independently phoned the CAA and both spoke to a Denisha Pelia to seek confirmation. She conferred with a senior policy bod called Joan Gardner and called me to confirm this. I asked for an email confirmation and was assured I would get one.
You aren't going to get one (unless it is more bullsh*t)

Despite this the CAA examiner (and the CFI) weren't convinced. The examiner was so unhappy about being wrong that he said he was going to take it up with the CAA himself (worrying considering he works there).
Good on him. It's in the ANO - the old article 26.
Fast-forward 2 1/2 weeks and having got no email
Gosh, there's a suprise.

I got worried and phoned up to chase. I then got sent an email saying I would need the permission of each country I wanted to fly in.
Bollox. Ask them for a reference.

After being given the run around for a couple of days I finally, by making a serious nuisance of myself, spoke to Joan Gardner directly. She now stated that this was indeed the case.
Ask her for a reference.

I argued back and forth for 45 mins about whether the position was that under ICAO if I was validated in a G-Reg by the ANO then I was allowed by default and an explicit difference would have to be filed to forbid me and she absolutely refused to give me a straight answer.
Gosh, there's a suprise.
All she would do is keep repeating that either way the only way to find out would be to contact each country individually and therefore what difference would it make?
She is wrong.

The real problem is that, over the last 2-3 years, nearly everybody smart in the CAA has retired or left.

I used to get great replies, with references, to these kinds of questions. A reply plainly stated, without references, is worthless because somebody could just make it up. (An affirmative reply is a different thing, because you are entitled to rely on it, and if it is wrong you are entitled to get a correction, and if one doesn't come then you can rely on the communication - if in writing, obviously...)

More recently, somebody I knew had a plane on the N-reg. He asked the CAA if he could fly it on a UK PPL. They said NO, which was bull**** (it's up to the FAA anyway; ref FAR 61.3, and IMHO they should have told him that since they know this stuff perfectly well). So he sold the plane - at a substantial loss as is always the case. Then he found out the truth.....
That doesn't happen: Why should you be any different?
Because the ANO says so - for a G-reg. What happens in US airspace is up to the FAA.

The fact that there isn't a direct reciprocity between the USA and the UK is irrelevant because you can get a 61.75 piggyback FAA PPL for peanuts, instantly. Can't do that in JAA-land...