PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 13:41
I Just Want To Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea about the changes to base salaries. Perhaps some of the new starts could confirm this...

I am extremely happy and have a positive outlook on the future.

The EBA negotiation members have been appointed, and negotiations will start soon.

We are a new airline, the company is doing what ever it can to stay afloat. Don't forget, we were losing $5M per week during the delay to launch! Is that management's fault? No, it's boeing!

There have been alot of people leaving, yes. It is actually quite common for an attrition rate of around 10-20% in the first 12-18 months. Trouble is, we all started at the same time, which is about 12-18 months ago.... I'm sure if you look at any airline training group, you would see that around 10-20% will have left after the first 12-18 months. After that, the % decreases considerably. This job is not for everyone.

There are 50 CC in training as we speak, with new groups every few months. This will help to cover the crew down problem to a certain degree, but we will need more! They have been actively recruiting alot, so should be sorted soon.

Is management perfect? No... I would like to see an airline anywhere in the world whose crew do not complain about management. We are being run by a low cost airline, trying to play with the big boys in the full service long haul market. They are a little out of their depth, but will find their feet. Hopefully the experience of our new VBGroup CEO will rub off on our Executives at V!

There is a big problem with negativity within the ranks. This is definately because of some of less than ideal working conditions. But what can be done about it. Remain positive, speak to your manager, email your Crew Consultative Committee members. Join the Union, stay in the Union beyond July! Stop being negative, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else. There are pleanty worse airlines in the world!

Although my roster is a little boring compared to some airlines, I still only average 3-4 trips per roster, plus one or two Nadi and a scattered Standby. I am not overworked at all! There are issues with regards to particularly long duties, which are being addressed, but things take time.

Sorry for the rant...