PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tragic Death of V- Australia Cabin Crew member
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:47
ChicoG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QFCABINRETURNS,

I find the death of this young man under such circumstances very tragic, but then I've seen so many senseless alcohol related deaths in Thailand. Perhaps you are reading more into it than I meant.

My comment with the Phuket Gazette report were based on the fact that the police reported that he was drunk after a night out, and that I have stayed in that very hotel, so it was an observation knowing that (a) a bunch of young Aussies were partying in Kata/Karon and (b) the massive hotel, with lots of walkways, is not very well lit at night.

I've know that particular stretch of turf intimately since 1988, and watched the hotel being built. It is a monstrosity.

Here's an incident that happened not to far away from the Arcadia, only a week later, and probably also alcohol related:

CHALONG, PHUKET: A young British man and a Thai man were killed in a motorcycle crash in Phuket early this morning. A Danish man was seriously injured.

Police found the bodies of Adam William Menagh, 22, and Chainarong Wathana, 24, lying on Chao Fa East Road opposite Soi Thanoothep in Chalong at 5:30am.

Mr Menagh was in Phuket for Muay Thai training at the Suwit Gym in Chalong. He was due to fight at one of the boxing stadiums in Patong later this week.

A Danish man who was riding on the same bike as Mr Menage was also seriously injured.

A passerby took the Dane to Phuket International Hospital, where he remains in intensive care.

Police think Mr Menagh’s motorcycle may have crossed lanes as he headed towards Phuket Town, colliding head on with Mr Chainarong’s bike.

Mr Chainarong, from Phang Nga province, was heading towards Chalong.

Both men were killed instantly from head trauma after the bikes collided at high speed.

Neither was wearing a helmet when the bodies were found.

The investigation continues.
Given the location, direction and the time of day, I would surmise based on my experience of the island that the young Europeans were also on their way home from "a night out", probably in the same tourist area in which young Nathan enjoyed his last night.

It is also senseless and tragic, and such accidents are publicised, then perhaps people will learn to drink in moderation.

Your churlish criticism only serves to dilute that important message.