PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Jeff Hawke
Thread: John Jeff Hawke
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2002, 16:18
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
It was Aztec G-OESX, previously owned by David Essex (think Harvest Air might have operated it for him?) but NOT at the time of the accident. Speculation was he was gun running for one of the Balkan countires... The aircraft had been repainted between JH renting it from the owner, and it being dredged up.

I think Euroworld was actually Don Bullock - was Jeff Hawke's company Visionaire International?

Can't think JH would have barrel-rolled the B-25, but Bullock did roll the A-26 at Biggin which was his - and others - undoing at the 1980 Battle of Britain Day as CamelPilot has pointed out. Saw a photo of the B-17 at Barton or Booker or somewhere, prop blades perhaps three feet off the ground... jeez... It accompanied a Flight article by Darryl Stinton about air display safety, probably 1978 or 79 - his point about low flying was valid.

The story about JH, the A-26 and the Portuguese is also accurate, though I thought it was a few years earlier, late 60s?; the way I heard it, he got busted by the Feds for flying over the White House after problems with the aircraft (probably be shot down in these scary days), and when they found out what he was actually planning to do with it...!!! There are still some derelict Portuguese A-26s in Angola, perhaps all part of the same plot... I'll see if I can find out some more about them.

B-25 pilot for the "Battle of Britain" film...

Only other story I can relate (and my one personal experience of him) was being shouted at along with lots of pother people for standing too near the B-25 while he was starting it at Cranfield! He had a point...

Treadders...