PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V2+15 Prior to Acceleration Alt - 737
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 08:28
skyeuropecapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUOTE:If your flight director is not giving you what you want you have at least two options. First of all, instead of ignoring your flight directors, I would recommend simply turning them off and fly the airplane without them. UNQUOTE

I would highly suggest keeping the flight directors ON and monitor the Autopilot to be sure it is not deviating from relatively standard maneuvers. For example high pitch during initial take off.( i believe 25 Degrees pith up is considered an UPSET,could happen if you takeoff on a ferry flight with full rated thrust).Some airlines may restrict your pitch to 20 degrees.
In that case i would limit the pitch manually but keep the FD engaged,the pitch will rejoin the FDs commands after.
Under rotation on lift off will increase your target speed (V2+15) and above V2 +25 you will be out of Noise abatement and also lower than you should for terrain clearance..So i would pitch up above flight directors(within Boeing and company limit) to regain the proper airspeed but making sure i set the correct pitch for the phase of flight before your speed goes below your target..or check closely your FD pitch command and notice and follow its downward trend until the proper pitch/airspeed is regained.

I often during nice clear days flew and offered to fly raw data (no FD /AT/AP) departures(initial vor radial intercept) until the aircraft reached 10000 feet.

However this was briefed as it was non standard procedures and you have to make sure your colleague is familiar with different pitch attitudes and raw data navigation along with specific task sharing.(PM would set all courses,reengage FD.AT..) when briefed..

PS:if you switch FDs OFF with autopilot engaged nothing will happen, the AP will still fly as directed from MCP

CMFVIDINI:
If you stay between V2 and V2+25 you are ok for noise,
if you maintain less than V2+15 you will be limited to 15 degr bank(ie turn before acceleration altitude).
To answer your question, your SOP say to (SPD UP or BuG UP) to give command to your FD to set Pitch for acceleration.which will avoid pilots retracting flaps at V2+15 and forgetting to accelerate towards the next flap maneuvering speed.
I always wait for pitch to be set for acceleration before I start retracting the flaps(MINIMUM V2+15).
You keep your target speed(V2 to V2+20) until reaching your acceleration altitude(based on Performance data/company SOPs/Noise Abatement).

Last edited by skyeuropecapt; 2nd Mar 2010 at 10:22.