PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 22:12
clivewatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ed,

I agree that the AOA changes are of lesser magnitude in cruising flight, but similarly so are the "speed" spreads that the manuals would otherwise determine. If the AOA value (for a given type) is known, it is far more expedient to fly it first, then if one needs the comfort of a speed target, then by all means look up the equivalent.if time permits.

The point I was trying to convey (which I am sure you grasped) is that all "speeds" are those which result only when the correct angle of attack is achieved, and for just about anything you wish to do in a given type there is only one corresponding AOA to fly it at, irrespective of the WAT. Best rate, best angle, best glide, min sink, and a LOT more.

The trick here is to learn the AOA's for your type....and I suspect this will only come by ASKING those who are responsible for training on your type.

Incidentally, I recently had reason to conduct two test flights, one in a factory new aircraft, and one on an aircraft fresh out of maintenance. Both schedules included confirming the AOA indication at which the stick shaker and push triggered. In all configurations in both aircraft the events triggered within less than 1% of the manufacturer margins.Clearly it is an accurate indicator.

Its only limitations? It requires electrical power, and anti icing.
Industry limitations? We need to be taught how to make best use of it!