PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 21:40
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil, have it your way. NOW, duplicate the damage twisting to the side, eh?

It does not require severe acceleration if the tail of the plane is bent upwards. That produces a relatively speaking slow rip that pops the VS off. I am quite aware of how it is attached having seem cutaway diagrams and such. As you mention a simple sudden cessation of forward movement would not produce what is seen.

As one possible scenario, it looks like the tail cone broke off at its natural break point, the junction with the pressure vessel of the cabin. It was pushed upwards. This applied tremendous force to the trailing edge of the VS as the spar that holds the clevis joints which mount the tail is bent. The nose of the VS is held in place by the relatively strong pressure vessel. Where does the VS go? All that can happen is that you get tears approximately the same as what you see on photos of the plane. There is even a good reason for the front joint to retain part of the clevis. That's about where the spar would break anyway looking at the drawings.

Now, duplicate those tears with a sideways rip to the rear. They'll come out exactly backwards.

Methinks you are positing actions in the absence of and indeed directly contrary to the evidence, such as we have it.

{^_^}