PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 21:08
bearfoil

wilyflier

FAR 25- structural load/limit load @ 1.5 no deformation/failure.
Radial: Torsional

mm43

The Rudder is swept, and the corner of airfoil that failed loaded the mounting lug vertically as a result of its deformed ultimate plane. The pick up arm performs the function of a "strut", see above. That part of the Rudder "pushing" back on the airsteam is largest in area at the lowest lug.

"vertical" as I read the photo is the normal operating movement of the Rudder, relative to the Vertical Stabiliser, vertical as in "about" the horizontal aspect of the Hinge axis. The arm is meant to "spread" the energy at the pivot hinge, to take up some of the "vertical" stress of a deployed Rudder face. "Shear Cracks, Vertical", are indicative of the attachment's failure in its operating plane as well.

It serves to demonstrate an enormous load at the pivot, from a Rudder at some deployment in an airstream, in other words, I feel it is not impact related. We are looking at a Rudder pivot hinge destroyed by Rudder deployment beyond its limit load, i.e. aerodynamic failure.

When you say: "up and down" are you meaning "compression, tension"?
I suggest the vertical cracks in the pin's sheath at the thru-bolt are very consistent with an overloaded Rudder deflected to the right.

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 1st Mar 2010 at 21:44.