PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any happy souls out there?
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 19:03
apruneuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XX621

I'm very happy - 3-400 hours a year flying a mid-size bizjet for a UK charter company. I visit many and varied airports and stay in 5 star hotels. I don't pay for type ratings, uniform, food and drink or anything else that is related to doing my job. I go to work, on average, 10 days per month and get to spend lots of quality time with my wife and kids. I even get paid significantly more than the National average wage.

How did I manage to land this dream job? PPL/IMC/FI/Para dropping/Air Taxi/Networking and holding down a second job over the 15 years it took to get to where I am now. I never borrowed, nor was given, a penny towards my training, which was done with 4 schools on 2 continents. I did ATPL theory via distance learning so that I could earn at the same time and averaged 90% without the benefit of a "question bank". By the way, I was over 40 before I received my first paycheck as a commercial pilot.

I have met and trained many pilots just as determined as me who have gained a CPL but never gained employment. I know several who have been declared bankrupt and others who have suffered divorce as a result of their selfish pursuit of a career in aviation. A very few will shortcut their way to an airline job straight out of flight school but for every one there will be one hundred who fall by the wayside.

I really don't know what else to say to you. Gaining a proper, paying job as a pilot in the present climate is a lottery. To join the game, however, you have to have an FATPL. Do you feel lucky?

Best Wishes

AP