PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 14:30
thegypsy
DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fredjhh/regle

re ex Public School RAF

Just wondering whether the fact that ex public school boys in those days all had to join the OTC ie Officers Training Corps meant they had an advantage in being promoted?

Just looking at my father's OTC Certificate dated 1931 which clearly states that in the event of a national emergency he is eligble for consideration for a commission etc etc

Despite this my father who was in the RAF Reserve as Sgt Pilot in 1936 on being mobilised in Oct 1939 as Sgt Pilot took until August 1940 before being granted a commission as Pilot Officer,Aug 41 as F/O, Aug 42 as Flt Lt.

My uncle( also ex public school) however who joined No 1 Squadron RAF Aberystwyth Ninth Course A Flight on 25th Feb 1941 was a Pilot Officer by Jan 1942 when his Wellington ex No 40 Squadron came down in the North Sea on a bombing raid to Wilhelmshaven and spent the rest of the war as a POW. He however transferred to the RAF from the army. How did they manage to do that?? Perhaps he was an officer already in the Army but I never got around to asking him that as he was a 60 a day Senior Service smoker and died of lung cancer before Pprune existed!