PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 takeoff roll and climb gradient - AEO ops normal
Old 9th Jul 2002, 12:31
john_tullamarine

Received 113 Likes on 73 Posts
Overrun,

From your post I presume that you have access to the AFM and Boeing Crew Manuals relevant to your particular aircraft/engine cocktails ... as you are presumably either DJ or QF, that probably indicates that you are in management or closely aligned .. ? .. as I presume both carriers use the CAR exemption permitting the non-carriage of AFMs.

The crew manuals may give some gross performance data from which you can obtain an approximate or specific ground roll.

Alternatively, if the particular AFM has data for TOR2 and TOD2, then you can get a reasonable idea by comparing two data points for the same configuration, conditions, weight, etc., by the following means

(a) figure the AFM TOR2 and TOD2 values for the case in question. If you want to figure in a non-zero wind, you will need to adjust the way you use the AFM wind carpet either by entering at twice the headwind, or two-thirds the tailwind to account for the normal 50/150% wind fudge factor.

(b) reduce each value in (a) by the 15% AEO factor

(c) calculate the resulting difference

(d) reduce the "de-factored" TOR2 calculated in (b) by the difference calculated in (c)

... should be within a reasonable bull's roar of the answer you seek ....

... alternatively, I could be persuaded to do the sums for you for a small consideration of a beer or two (GST ignored) ... are you likely to be crewing the DJ flight I am paxing on tomorrow ? ... give me something to do in cruise ....

Looking at your concerns with bugsmasher climb performance, the current FAR23 requirements are along the lines of

4% (bigger piston and turbine) for gear down T/O configuration at SL
8.3% (smaller piston) for gear up T/O configuration at SL

The 6.0% ANO 101.22 (the local additional requirements implementation of FAR 23) was an Oz requirement to fit in with airfield standards. I just can't remember what the CAR/FAR requirements were back then in the absence of an archive search. I am pretty certain this isn't relevant to .. and never applied for heavies ....

(modified to keep Mutt happy ....)

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 9th Jul 2002 at 21:53.