PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?
Old 1st Mar 2010, 06:05
sonoma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. I was looking at the pay rates posted by pilots and saw a post on page 39 by BradA380 (Emirates, as he is based in Dubai, only A380 company in this part of the world, with a registration date of Feb 2010 for PPRune). I'm not sure what his agenda is (he might be a management person talking up the possibilities with the company), or an inflated idea of himself, but a everything he wrote is incorrect.
He isn't a year one F/O, nor is he 23.
He most certainly is not earning the money he says he is.
If he is a pilot at EK, then his standard leave per year is 42 days, which is 6 weeks, not 8. Pay for vacation used to be standard, now it isn't. Days leave are often used to meet the legal requirement for days off in a month.
There are no direct entry F/O's on the A380 - I believe the minimum experience is two years with the company, of which all must be on the A330/340 fleet - that doesn't mean you get to the A380, only that you qualify to bid for it.
If he is a local (UAE national), then he might be 23 - but still not eligible for the A380 due to experience level. The locals are on a very different pay and benefits package to expatriate pilots.
To apply to EK you would need a minimum of 4,000 hours jet time, so you can calculate his possible minimum age from that.
The pay of an F/O at Emirates, is the same for all fleets - A330/340, B777, and A380. I believe it is approximately 25K UAE dirhams, which is approximately 5K EUro, $6800 or a little over £4K. From that, his pension contribution (there are many rumours about this, but it is similar to most companies except the choices are very limited), medical costs (if he has a family), and utility costs, if he exceeds the limit allowed, are deducted.
His medical benefits are restricted - covered 100% for most treatment in Dubai, but not elsewhere - and you may need or wish to go elsewhere (this can be quite a shocker as many have been left with substantial bills due to medical treatment).
Much of the information above is available on the EK website, or from fellow pruners.

Last edited by sonoma; 1st Mar 2010 at 06:33.