PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 00:11
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
I too have come to the mind that we had no business in Vietnam. Now, I see it as a war of reunification and the ending of French Colonial rule that we somehow got involved in for all the wrong reasons. In a few days, I am headed back there for my second post war trip and look forward to seeing the place again. Politics can sure confuse things in my view....and I fully agree with the view that one plays to win after you kick off the game.

My first tourist trip was when I came to the firm conclusion about the war I hold now. I was stood at Ho Chi Minh's house, lookiing at his dinner table, and I began to wonder why I was able to do so. I would have thought that area of Hanoi would have looked like the surface of the Moon with huge bomb craters all about the place and nothing standing....much less Ho's dinner plates and cups neatly arranged for all to see.

I will have to admit getting some pleasure out of looking down Ho's nostrils as he lay in state as that was now the second Communist Leader I had done that to....Mao being the first while in Bejjing.

The fact he sought American assistance several times and was refused makes it all the worse in hind sight.

Ya'll didn't miss anything by sitting that one out.....as I now think we should have as well. The only mitigating thought is we may have helped limit the spread of Communism by taking a stand there in Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos but sure should have done a much better job of it. It sure wasn't the troops on the ground or the sea and air support that let us down as it was the political and military leadership at the highest levels of the US Government that failed us.

I see a lot of the same going on today in both the US and UK.

One funny note.....

Subic Bay Chiefs Mess....circa late 60's...height of the Vietnam War.

Visiting RN vessel....lots of mingling in the Mess.

American getting some guff from the RN about how the war is going.

American retorts...."Well....we don't see your sorry asses there!"

British Reply...."And you won't either mate, the NVA seem to be doing quite well without us!"

I understand the RN became fully engaged in a flash!