PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frankfurt - transit security question
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2010, 20:01
speke2me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems FRA is indeed a shambles when transiting and is best avoided.

To matkat (post #4): I had the same thing in 2008 when I flew from MAN to Beijing via FRA (Lufthansa again), so sadly this is nothing new. On that occasion, due to industrial action at Lufty, the usual 'coffee and cheese roll' was not available, so they gave us a small bottle of water instead. I had a few sips and took it with me. Yes, you've guessed it. At FRA the security confiscated it as a 'dangerous liquid', despite it being handed to me on one Lufty flight prior to boarding another one

To 10bob (post #7): This is a barmy situation! I think your 'head butt the wall' emoticon sums up the frustration at this rigmarole admirably

To Mark in CA (post #9): Nice theory, but how can inconsistency enhance security when in 10bob's case it sometimes included a majority of ZERO security checks?

Incidentally I have just returned this evening from Rome again, this time both legs Swissair via Zurich. Same thing with security checks again at Zurich. Furthermore, only an hour was scheduled between landing and departing. On the way out the security checks made it very tight, but despite the stress levels and virtually having to run through the airport at Zurich, we made it.

On the way back the FCO-Zurich flight departed half an hour late. Fortunately the gate they sent us to at Zurich (B23) was a small hub of four or five gates, and there was no queue at security. The check-in staff were waiting for us (thankfully). The rest of the PAX had been boarded on a bus. Us five, and about four others who had come from elsewhere (prob delayed also) were promptly put into a small minibus (crew type bus?) and taken to the plane that was fuelled, hatches closed and ready to go. And then off we went. The plane took off about on time and landed on time.

Pat on the back to Swissair for waiting to board us at the last minute, although the three colleagues who had checked-in baggage were told it would not make it. Fortunately I was hand luggage only.

What with all the security palava, and the real possibility of 30 minute delays for no particular reason, would not a 1.5 - 2 hour transit period make more sense? At least it would likely have saved the cost to Swissair of delivering my colleagues bags to their homes tomorrow?

Oh what joy flying in Europe has become