PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2010, 19:29
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should the USA not be able to claim "Neutrality" in this issue and do so legitimately?
Perfectly entitled too.. but should recognise that such a stance has implications.

Do "Friends" blackmail one another to enlist assistance or do "friends" come to the aid of the other when they really need help?
Its only blackmail if its a bluff. I'm not talking about withdrawing from Afghanistant to send a message to the USA. I'm talking about adjusting the UKs defence priorities; because although trying to contain AQ is important, so is defending our sovereign territory.

What concerns me is that people assume the Argentinians will not have another try militarily. Yes, it would be costly, unwise and uncertain - but since when have those factors ever stoped a war in the past?

I would wager good money that military options are under serious consideration by the Argentine government. The questions are can they take the islands, and can they get away with it? Taking them will be more costly than last time, but if they can do it their chances of hanging on to them seem much better given the state of the UK military and the political environment (not least fence sitting by the worlds remainign superpower).