PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are modern jet tails not de-iced(in flight)?
Old 28th Feb 2010, 14:02
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAIL ICE -
OK.....you got me back yet into another 'problem' area of aviation.....TAIL ICE.

Believe me if there's ice on the wing, there's ice on the tail. I don't care what kind of airplane it is. It's sad that cost considerations seem to come into play where de-icing the tail is concerned. The 737 has a real nice "heater" back there that could very easily be put to use to de-ice the tail, but Boeing was able to convince the FAA that it wasn't needed. HOGWASH. I don't have a copy of the report that I submitted (41 years ago now) to everyone I could think of about an incident I experienced with tail ice on the 737(200). Stall speed was a full 20 knots HIGHER in the landing (40 Flap) configuration. We had well over an inch of ice on the wings. I won't go into all the details here as it would take up too much space. I can tell you it was during flight training and I was flying (right seat). It took almost TWO THOUSAND feet to recover from a full stall because the Flight "Instructor" made me "take it to the stick shaker" when we were doing approaches to stalls.
- - - - -
Mansfield -
Boeing is very adept at designing in huge stall margins on the stabilizer.
Read my above regarding Boeing being able to certify without tail de-icing.

No evidence whatsover of tail stall issues with any large jet...
Again, read the above.
- - - - -
NGjockey -
I still don't feel comfortable with the tail not being equipped with ice protection.
Can't say as I blame you. Carry some extra speed when in icing conditions.
- - - - -
kenparry -
Has there actually ever been an accident caused by a tailplane stall on a jet?
I couldn't find who you quoted, but even though I was somewhat involved in the United Midway adccident, the NTSB rulled out tail ice as a possible cause. Why? Because Charlie Fox Dog (the Chicago Fire Department) said there was no ice on the airplane when they arrived at the scene. Well.....DUH.....the airplane was on fire !! How long did they think the ice was gonna hang around. Those of us "in the know" still maintain the aircraft stalled on approach.

All I can say is.....y'all be careful out there. Aviation is NOT an exact science. Never has been and never will be !!