PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2010, 13:32
regle

Raw deal, Fred

Talk about "Give a dog a bad name" ! Your course really had one of the worst cases of "Officiousness" going to someone in authority's head that I have heard about. As you have pointed out so graphically, the trouble is that it stays with you and there is very little that you could do about it. I encountered , only once during my whole career a case of blatant anti-semitism in the behaviour of a certain "Colonial" Wing Commander C.G.I at one of the stations where I was a F/Lt. Instructor .. He tried to charge me with "Desertion" when I came back from leave a few hours late. I was lucky in having a Station Commander who threw it out in no uncertain manner but better was to come ! Many years later when I was a Captain ,flying Convairs for Sabena, I happened to walk through the transit lounge at Heathrow on my way back to the aeroplane to take it back to Brussels when I happened to see this same chap sitting amongst a bunch of businessmen. He recognised me straight away as I walked over to him.. "Are you one of my passengers to Brussels with Sabena Flight ... ? I asked him politely . "What a coincidence", he replied "Good to see you again after all these years". I looked at him and said "I am just going to the Sabena Station Manager to tell him that I will not have you on my Flight and I shall tell him why." He was furious but my Station Manager backed me to the hilt as did the Chief pilot Europe and the various other Directors who were contacted by the B.....d . It is true that "revenge is a dish that is best eaten cold.". regle