PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are modern jet tails not de-iced(in flight)?
Old 28th Feb 2010, 12:53
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, I am not a pilot but have done a fair bit of flying in light aircraft ( as technical photographer or just plain ' sitting there ' in transit ) but have often wondered about iceing.

The only time I have come across it was in a PA-44 Seminole at around 10,000' over a summertime Wiltshire, and frankly I was amazed how quickly the ice accumulated on the windshield and leading edges.

Rather happily this aircraft had been fitted with extra anti & de-ice kit as a demo' subject, which I'd photographed air-air through the removed W.C. window of the company Dove for their stand at the Farnborough show - didn't even get a sticker / zap, ta very much, so only poetic justice if the kit saved my life !

When the ice seemingly came out of nowhere and accreted VERY rapidly - I'm talking of less than 20 seconds or so by memory before it was easily 1" thick & building - the Test Pilot selected ' de-ice ' and was already diving as he called ATC for permission to do so.

Do I take it ' Ram Rise ' is a function of energy, so smaller slower aircraft are more susceptible ?

Still a good question re. tail surfaces...