PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Flying Trg System - How good
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2002, 09:25
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only my second post - but I have to agree with Beags on the output of ME fg trg.

I was a QFI on a UAS and am now an instructor on a certain 4 Eng ME ac. I would say the following about entrants to the OCU/front line sqns to amplify Beags points:

1. The straight-through ME co-pilots (ie EFTS/MELIN/METS/OCU/Sqn) only have about 170-200 hrs total when they hit the OCU.

2. This compares to 250-300 on the old Gp2 Phase 1 on JP/Tucs

3. This missing 50-100 hrs is a heck of a percentage of experience plus the lack of proper (240-300kt) LL and formation are important gaps in a pilot's 'armoury'.

4. The airmanship of these straight through pilots can be poor - but no real fault of theirs!

5. The OCU instructors have little or no flex with which to work on the gaps in the new co's knowledge and skills.

6. Therefore, the Sqn qfis spend the first 6 months coaching the new cos the basics (on the most expensive ac) before they are officially regarded as CR by the Sqn execs (whatever the output std of the OCU). (FYI - Our sims are no great use for piloting skills)

7. It is difficult/impossible to chop anyone anymore but a number of cos have been NCR'd and retrained ON THE SQNS.

8. The ex Tucano/Hawk/rotary guys/gals generally have much more airmanship and capacity than their 'straight-through' cousins. This may be an ability or confidence thing but I am sure it is mainly an experience thing.

The officer-quality/intelligence of young cos is high at the moment (well on some Sqns!) - I am surrounded by top class young JOs who have improved from when they were top-class studes of mine on the UAS. These people have coped admirably with the deficiencies of the system. However, I believe the ME fg trg system has let them down (not the instructors or OCUs per se, who have their hands tied, but the bean-counters who are only interested in ££££s)! As the RAF and ME fleets get short of pilots in the next few years, will we see less capable JOs emerge fm IOT who we will then have to chop off the OCUs/Sqns when a little more trg on cheaper ac would give the OCU/Sqn qfis something to work with??

I believe we have reduced the fg trg hrs available (on ME ac at least) BELOW the bare minimum. I would recommend that we re-introduce a Gp 2 Ph 1 cse on Tucano again (supposedly being considered) or a longer, more demanding EFTS/MELIN/METS with new ac.

This is even more important as we introduce more technically demanding front-line ME ac such as C130J, C17, A400M and FSTA, Nimrod 200? etc. Even the C130K Sqns are both tactical sqns and there is no fail-safe of strat/route only. All co's must have the potential for demanding Tac ops - ditto for VC10s and tanking!