PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Field Rations
Thread: Field Rations
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 22:31
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Have to say I have always been a fan of biscuits brown. My first introduction to them came on the UAS when we did a week long survival course and I overdosed on them before we left the airfield. Needless to say the guidance we had been given on field hygiene was not needed, although I nearly cracked the bowl when their effects wore off .... something like 4 days AFTER we got back.

But talking of MREs, I have to say I got rather fond of the flat bread and chilli cheese dip. Even though when eaten in 55 degree temperatures having been left in the sun for a few months, the cheese dip had exactly the opposite effect of the biscuits brown all those years before.

That said, the best thing in the MREs had to be the heating element. Just add water to the pack, drop your food in and hey presto 10 mins later a cooked meal. OR, if you're bored during your 5th month of sitting in Corps HQ in Baghdad, get several heating elements, put them in a sealable container, add water and run. They make quite an amusing bang if you put enough elements in a container with a good enough seal.

Not that I would ever encourage anybody to do anything so childish or infantile when on ops ....