PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 20:56
SASless

Received 524 Likes on 219 Posts
Our Dear Leader has taken a public position (certainly I hope the private position remains intact from previous years) saying the USA is not going to take sides (a position I do not support) but there are demands for the USA tohonour our "Special Relationship" with the UK.

The Swiss sat out a bunch of wars by claiming to be "Neutral", as did Spain and Ireland in WWII.

Why should the USA not be able to claim "Neutrality" in this issue and do so legitimately?

NATO obligations seem to focus upon attacks on members in the UK and Europe by neighboring countries it appears. Does it require NATO support to the UK in the Falklands, BVI, or in Hong Kong during its day?

As I recall, NATO member nations did not support the UK during the last war in the Falklands but in the end the USA did.

In light of the EU and all the jointness of the European nations and the UK....is there not a "Special Relationship" formed by that? If so....where's all the vocal support from the NATO countries in particular?

Probably the question I am asking is :"How do we define this "special relationship" we all talk about?"

PB.... Do "Friends" blackmail one another to enlist assistance or do "friends" come to the aid of the other when they really need help?