PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Probably a bone question but I'll ask anyway
Old 27th Feb 2010, 19:30
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Similarly the direct reading compass was probably sufficiently far forward.

However several known potential effects were ignored. When more than one engine was changed we were supposed to do a compass swing. When there was a mjor component change, ie the wing, or part of the system, or when there was a large change of 'magnetic latitude' eg a move from UK with a 40 degree dip to the equator with a zero dip.

Now the latter was ignored on transport aircraft and we successfully ignored it for bombers too. Similarly we made no correction for bomb loads either.

I remember once seeing a UK chart of local magnetic variation (1949 survey IIRC) that showed maximum variation around major cities like London, Birmingham and Manchester. This would suggest that there was a significany change in compass accuracy near the cities although this would reduce with altitude.

As far as bombing accuracies were concerned, a 0.1 deg error between true and magnetic (allowing for variation and deviation) would translate to a bombing error of only 51 feet for an offset aiming point 5 miles from the target.

In navigation terms this would have been insignificant as other unknowns - start position, fixing accuracy, wind, speed etc would all have had a greater effect.