PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Falklands / The Malvinas - (again?)
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 16:53
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
It is amazing how this thread degenerated into blaming the US for all of the ills of the world. I suspect that the current position of Washington has a lot to do with not showing their cards in a way to prejudice relations in Latin America, where I suspect American diplomats are going to be busy for the next few years.

Argentina cannot invade. It lacks amphibious forces for one thing, and the Argentine Air Force is not without it's problems. The Falklands are far better protected than they were in 1982. Argentina cannot generate a force sufficient to defeat the Falklands garrison faster than we can reinforce. I even expect that despite the cuts and overstretch, we could generate and deploy a naval task group quicker than they could.

As for the Sea Harrier, mentioned by BEagle and others, they haven't entirely gone away, and as I've suggested on the Sea Jet thread, could probably get regenerated faster than Argentina's amphibious capabilities. Deterrence is the key, so we must remember to resist attempts to impose cuts that would pose a threat to maintaining these forces, and having reinforcements.

Subject post removed - the comment that was here is no longer valid.