PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vikings to West Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 14:35
Georgeablelovehowindia
Death Cruiser Flight Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
William Boyd is the son of the late Dr Sandy Boyd, who was the medical officer at Achimota University. My parents knew Sandy and Evelyn Boyd very well. My father played golf with Sandy Boyd on the nine-hole course at Achimota, and I vaguely remember William when he was an 'ankle biter' of about eight and I was an aloof fifteen year old!

Everyone seems to have deserted Ghana in favour of Nigeria around the same time in 1961. My parents did their last four years in Lagos, and Sandy Boyd became the medical officer of the university at Ibadan (I think). I came home on the inaugural flight of the VC10 from Lagos, 2nd May 1964: G-ARVI, Captain Atkinson, Lagos - Kano - Frankfurt - LHR. I have the souvenir VC10 silk tie and the certificate - showing the aircraft in the wrong, old, livery - signed by Captain Atkinson.

This is me about to board an Argonaut - registration sadly unknown - in the heat of the afternoon at Accra in August 1956. The homeward flight took off around 16:00 and routed, as always, via Kano and Tripoli. Having sat for several hours in the baking sunshine, the cabin interior was somewhat warm until we had climbed up to cruising altitude!

Last edited by Georgeablelovehowindia; 24th Mar 2010 at 12:00. Reason: Argonaut photograph added and expanded to better size thanks to Forget's advice!