PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Axe Man of Apia
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2010, 10:49
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Not funny then Centaurus. I'm very fragile right now.
Balance. We all have different sense of humour. Sorry if I got up your nose.

I have enjoyed reading the replies to the original post and learned from them. The purpose of starting the subject of cockpit etiquette was to persuade airline management people - some of whom presumably do read Pprune under the blankets at night - to realise that harmony in the cockpit is important to the flight safety ethos of each airline.

Induction training is the logical starting point. That said, the accent should be on practical examples - similar to those described on Pprune. Whatever form of induction training takes place, new hire interest however will fade to boredom and apathy if psycho-babble replaces clear concise English. And that is my fear.

For example, the following excerpts were lifted from a current Australian flight safety magazine:

"Leaders rely on team members when time constraints or workload do not permit the synergic process. The leader's style of leadership or the personalities of the team members can also favour this type of collective decision making...A leader may rely on team members for hypothesis confirmation to define new alternatives or resolve doubts...the collective decision process is actively managed by everyone - leader and team members. Initiatives for beginning collective action are shared among all members of the team...the synergic process can be applied only when time stress is low...most of the time the team-functioning rules are already known by members...the leader seeks consensus and checks that every team member agrees with the collective decisions..for example, goals, situational awareness, courses of action..."

I wonder what the Axe Man of Apia would say about that lot?